Understanding the NICU is a very hopeful and informative book, not shying away from technical descriptions, but in short, digestible blocks. With personal stories, it is suitable for any new NICU nurse and parents as it explains procedures and disease processes in non-medical way.
Parents will find it extremely comforting as some stories will be very familiar – unexpected early hospital admittance, cataloguing new developments not knowing what they meant, learning the ecosystem of the NICU.
Understanding the NICU provides you with everything you need to know about
• Common NICU equipment and tests
• Common medical problems for babies in the NICU
• Special health issues for premature infants
• Who's who in the NICU and how to work with the team
• Mother-baby factors: effects on newborn health
• Feeding your baby
• Parenting in the NICU
• Birth defects and surgery
• Heading home from the NICU
• Home at last
• Caring for your baby in the first year